

Acer buergerianum
Acer buergerianum is commonly known as
the “Trident maple” due to its (usually) three-lobed leaves. I
met its acquaintance rather late in life at the beginning of my
nursery ownership, and I suppose it was when I was about 30 years
old. I've known of Acer palmatum since my childhood because my family
had a red laceleaf maple in the back yard, and we were warned not
to kick the ball into it because it was “valuable.” Later, since
I intended to begin a plant nursery that would specialize in Japanese
maples – the red laceleafs and red palmatum uprights such as A.p.
'Bloodgood' – I assumed that the Acer genus began and ended with
the palmatums.
I scheduled a pilgrimage to the maple
guru of the time – J.D. Vertrees (1915-1993) shortly after his
sensational book Japanese Maples was published – to visit
his Maplewood Nursery, because his book revealed that there was far
more to being a “Japanese maple” than just the red palmatums.
Heck, there were even green selections, and variegated ones, and
dwarves and...and...then he brought up the concept of species
of Japanese maples. He championed Acer pycnanthum and wondered if I
liked it; I did not – it reminded me of Acer rubrum, thousand of
which were overused on Portland streets. Then Vertrees herded me past
an Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama yatsubusa'. I didn't recognize it as a
maple of course, due to its ivy-like leaves, but he pointed out the
tiny green samaras. By the time I was through with my visit I had
already forgotten the cumbersome specific name of buergerianum,
as I was saturated with my encounter with myriads of palmatum
cultivars.

Acer buergerianum 'Naruto'
I'm foggy about my first acquisition of
any Acer buergerianum, and even though I kept meticulous notes at the
time, the source was bungled on the computer by an insecure employee
with borderline personality disorder who kept the glitch secret and
then I discovered six months later that all plant sources were
fouled up. Ah, those were the days when more harm than good came from
computer operators who described themselves as “competent” – or
even “good” – when I interviewed them for the job. Anyway, I
put back my sources for my master plant list as best I could from
memory. Possibly A.b. 'Naruto' was my first cultivar, and I think it
came from one of the plant-collecting doctors* who I befriended early
on.
*Dr. Bump, Dr. Corbin and Dr.
Mossman – sadly now deceased – were important early plant sources
in my career.
![]() |
| Friedrich Miquel |
The buergerianum species was named by
Friedrich Anton Wilhelm Miquel (1811-1871), a Dutch – but German
born – botanist who toiled in Utrecht, The Netherlands, and I have
been to the botanic garden there. Miguel sported fantastic gray
sideburns that draped down to his collar, and it's a shame that he
only lived to age 59. The specific epithet honors Heinrich Burger –
with an umlaut over the “u” – a German physicist, biologist and
botanist who was employed by the Dutch government to study the
Japanese flora and fauna. It was common at the time for German-born
scientists to labor for the Dutch, and perhaps most notable was
Philipp von Siebold who oversaw Burger's activities. The Japanese
didn't trust the Europeans on their mainland, but they did allow
research on the small island of Dejima, located in the Nagasaki
harbor. So Burger discovered Acer buergerianum, but he never
officially described his findings, rather deferring to the botanical
cognoscenti back in Europe. Burger was also honored for Azalea
burgeri which is now lumped under Rhododendron indicum, the fern
Lepidomicrosorium buergerianum and the pipewort Eriocaulon
buergerianum whose scientific name is derived from Greek erion
meaning “wool” and caulos meaning “stalk.”

Acer buergerianum ssp. ningpoense
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum at Kew |
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama yatsubusa' |
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama yatsubusa' |
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama yatsubusa' |
![]() |
| Yuki Tamori with Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama yatsubusa' |
Acer buergerianum 'Mino yatsubusa'
A.b. 'Mino yatsubusa' surprises maple
novices that it is a maple at all, let alone a Japanese maple. It
demonstrates how polymorphic the A. buergerianum's leaves can be,
ranging from 'Mino yatsubusa's' willowy long middle lobes to 'Kifu
nishiki' with heart-shaped leaves with a single lobe, not trident at
all. 'Mino's' leaves are glossy green – and thus difficult for me
to photograph – but in autumn they turn rich in coloration with
green, yellow, red and purple, sometimes at the same time. Again,
note how I write “difficult for me” because for you it might not
be, just as when I admit that something is difficult for me to
propagate – where I say it can be difficult or for me
it is difficult. The point is to be careful about stating absolutes
because nothing is ever absolute – whoops, I just did it
myself! In 1978 Vertrees in Japanese Maples describes 'Mino
yatsubusa' as “very difficult to propagate,” just as he does for
other tridents like 'Wako nishiki' and 'Nusatori nishiki'. The
Vertrees/Gregory 4th edition rehashes much of what
Vertrees said in the first edition, and I find much to be
inconsistent with my experience. For example Vertrees describes Acer
palmatum 'Goshiki kotohime' as “quite difficult to propagate” in
1978 and then we read it verbatim in the 2009 4th edition.
Grafts are not “difficult” at Buchholz Nursery because we keep
our stock in greenhouses to encourage long-internodal growth, and our
graft percentage reaches about 75-80%. We also root 'Goshiki
kotohime' and over the past twenty years our percent averages at
least 90%. The same is true with A.b. 'Mino yatsubusa', where it
strikes root quite readily from soft wood cuttings under mist. Try
and graft or root it from an old specimen out in the landscape and I
can believe in the “difficulty.” What I have learned in my long
tiresome career is that I actually know less than when I
started, and also to accept the fact that another grower might be
superior to me with a certain plant.

Acer buergerianum 'Wako nishiki' in May
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Wako nishiki' in July |
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Wako nishiki' in October |
Acer buergerianum 'Wako nishiki' is a
fun maple to grow with its white new foliage in early spring...which
evolves to more green-white by late spring, and hopefully just in
time before the 100 degree days arrive. Vertrees/Gregory describe it
as a “very slow-growing compact shrub” that is “not easy to
propagate and requires extra care in cultivation.” Not to overly
harp on Vertrees, but that description comes from his limited
experience. I dug a 16' tree out of the Display Garden that was
only 12 years old – hardly a slow-growing compact shrub. We don't
give our younger plants any “extra care,” as I am against
anything that's high maintenance, and if discontinuing it is the best
option, then so be it. That's actually a very Japanese
concept: that if a nail sticks up – i.e. individuality – it will
be pounded down. We know that the Japanese word nishiki
usually means “variegated,” but wako is more difficult to
understand. It can mean that the maple comes from Wako city which is
located near Saitama – an old historical horticultural region
located outside of Tokyo. But that name itself can be derived from
the Buddhist inclination to “soften your light,” to not
present yourself as the full unadulterated you. That would be
too much and it is not considered good form. This explanation of wako
is the supposition of my wife after seeing the characters of wako
in Yano's maple book. I have come to accept that no question to her
will come with a quick and simple answer, just as understanding her
and her culture is never simple. It seems like you have to not try
too much because your effort and desire to know is a hurdle that gets
in your own way.
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Hana chiru sato' |
Somewhat like 'Wako nishiki' described
above is Acer buergerianum 'Hana chiru sato', but it is perhaps more
of a wimp as my one and only tree succumbed. New spring growth is
cream-white with a pinkish hue, then it becomes more white with green
veins. Later in summer my tree petered out so I can't describe it
beyond that, but at least I could take a nice photo...and thanks for
the memories.
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Angyo Weeping' |
Acer buergerianum 'Angyo Weeping'
Acer buergerianum 'Angyo Weeping' is
saddled with an invalid name as one cannot combine two languages for
a cultivar name according to the rules of international nomenclature.
'Angyo shidare' would have worked however. As the name implies it
displays a strong pendulous form and the original tree can be found
in Angyo which is located near Tokyo at the Kobayashi maple nursery.
This area was chosen for nurseries due to the excellent underground
water and red soil (Kanto loam) that the nurserymen incorporate into
their potting media. There used to be an Angyo Maple Nursery which in
the 1930's listed over 200 cultivars of Japanese maples, but I don't
know if it continued after the War. 'Angyo Weeping' can be rooted or
grafted low, then trained to the desired height and it will then form
an umbrella shape. The same can be achieved by grafting onto a
standard, but it might not look as attractive in winter. Summer
foliage is glossy green and it tolerates heat well as long as it
receives adequate moisture. Fall colors range from orange to red to
purple.
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Hime toyo nishiki' |
Acer buergerianum 'Toyo Tricolor'
Acer buergerianum 'Hime toyo nishiki'
was selected for being dwarf and for leaves with pink and white on
green variegation. Often the middle lobe is sickle-shaped, and
frankly I don't find the cultivar to be very attractive. It
originated as a seedling from A.b. 'Toyo Tricolor' – yes another
invalid name, and I wonder if it's ok to just call it 'Toyo'. Whether
it's ok or not, 'Toyo' is far more vigorous and healthy-looking. Of
course that can be a problem at Buchholz Nursery where many of the
variegated maples are treated so lavishly that they burst out green
new growth without the colors.
Acer buergerianum 'Street Wise'
A few years ago I bought a few starts
of Acer buergerianum 'Street Wise' from another wholesale grower, and
even though it was patented – which I don't like – I decided to
find out why it was a wise choice for street planting.
I never could conclude why, as it seemed no different from the type,
except that a specific clone usually displays more uniformity than
random seedlings. So basically someone noticed a trident that looked
particularly nice, and through Tree Introductions Inc. of Georgia,
patented and named 'Street Wise', and through marketing someone gets
to collect a royalty. Big deal. I do like Tree Introductions Inc.'s
motto of “Greening the Third Millennium,” except that implies
that there were no horticultural activities B.C. which is not
correct. Anyway, I've read that 'Street Wise' can grow 30 to 45' tall
by 25 to 40' wide, and I don't find those dimensions to be
advantageous for street planting. I invite anyone to convince me that
this is a great tree for urban planting, otherwise I'll conclude that
we just have some Georgia hucksters bent on making a dollar.

Acer buergerianum 'Tancho'
I used to grow Acer buergerianum
'Tancho' and 'Naruto' and I found them to be pretty much the same –
vigorous green uprights with glossy curled green leaves that turned
orange and red in the fall. I knowingly sold my last of each –
kicked them off the ark – because sales were always slow even
though I found them to be kind of interesting. Neither of them
reverted as does the similarly curled leaves of Acer palmatum
'Okushimo', which is another maple I discontinued. My cavalier
approach to horticulture, where thumbs are up one day and down the
next, occasionally leaves me wistful and bittersweet, just as when I
look back at the parting with an old girlfriend, or rather a young
girlfriend from long ago.
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Inazuma nishiki' |
I'd like to describe another trident,
'Inazuma nishiki', but I don't grow it. I've seen it only one time
and that was in Masayoshi Yano's collection. It is not included in
his Book for Maples either, but my photo is proof that it
exists. It makes me think of all of the thousands of people I have
encountered, but just in passing. Happy children, pretty girls, old
men, gangster boys etc. – I think every passing image remains
somewhere in my brain, crammed in with my thousands of plant
encounters. Maybe I'll meet 'Inazuma nishiki' again, maybe not.
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Michael Steinhardt' |
![]() |
| Leaf underside |
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum 'Michael Steinhardt' |
I was very impressed with a Don Shadow
(of Tennessee) introduction that he named 'Michael Steinhardt', even
though I cringe when plants are named after people. As you can see it
shouts with golden foliage – my photo was taken in May – and Don
claims that it does not burn. Best of all it is not patented and he
gave me a start, and now we are propagating it also. As usual for us
we keep the first tree indoors to encourage longer propagating shoots
than if we were to plant it straight away into the garden. As with
many golden plants I can see that it colors more green when inside,
and no visitor has ever passed it with any notice. Shadow named the
tree for a New York investment banker who has a private arboretum/zoo
in Mt. Kisco, New York, as he has patronized Don's nursery. Mr.
Steinhardt has visited me twice in Oregon and his garden contains
some of my plants; this fall I hope to visit him on his home turf, to
see what he has done with them.
![]() |
| Acer buergerianum at the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection |
![]() |
| Pinus thunbergii |
Many maple references mention the
popularity of A. buergerianum as a subject for bonsai culture. My
late grandmother despised bonsai – she likened it to “torturing
children” – and with all of the copper wires used I can see her
point. Personally I admire the poetry of nature that is created
whether the artist uses pines, Rhododendrons or Japanese maples, and
I am fortunate to live relatively close to the Pacific Rim Bonsai
collection in Federal Way, Washington, adjacent to the fabulous
Rhododendron Species Botanic Garden.
I'm sorry for Acer buergerianum, that
this wonderful Asian species is scientifically saddled with a
German's epithet. As it originated in eastern China, it's Chinese
name is san jiao feng, and it is native from Shandong west to
southeastern Gansu, south to Guangdong and Taiwan, and southwest to
Sichuan – so to quite a large area. It was introduced very early to
Japan, where its name translates as “China maple.” I find it
interesting that Japan and the Western world have selected cultivars,
but I know of none from China. In any event I hope this blog will
help you to appreciate the species a little more.

































No comments:
Post a Comment