Friday, October 21, 2016

MoMA



Mark Bradford
Let's Walk to the Middle of the Ocean

I was in New York City, Boston and Connecticut earlier this month and now I am back in rainy Oregon. Whenever I take a "business" trip I always manage to fit in as many art museums as possible, for art is my second greatest passion after plants. Er...wait a minute: wine, women and song are up there too. Anyway, I spent a blissful morning at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), while my wife and children went window-shopping on Madison Avenue.

Lee Krasner
Untitled

Mark Rothko
No. 3

Jackson Pollock
One Number 31

Mark Rothko
Slow Swirl at the Edge of the Sea

Betye Saar
Black Girl's Window

Maria Martins
The Impossible, III

Fernand Leger
Woman with a Book

Amedeo Modigliani
Reclining Nude

Pablo Picasso
Three Musicians

Paul Klee
Around the Fish

Paul Klee
Cat and Bird

Vasily Kandinsky
White - Soft and Hard

Henri Matisse
Female Nude

Matisse
Dance (I)

Henri Matisse
Goldfish and Sculpture

Henri Matisse
The Moroccans

Henri Matisse
The Piano Lesson

Henri Matisse
Music (Sketch)

Francis Picabia
It Has to Do with Me

Marcel Duchamp
Network of Stoppages
Pablo Picasso
Woman Plaiting Her Hair

Pablo Picasso
Vase of Flowers

Pablo Picasso
Repose

Georges Braque
Soda

Juan Gris
Still Life with Flowers

Piet Mondrian
Composition in Oval with Color Planes 1

Pablo Picasso
Guitar

Vincent van Gogh
The Starry Night

Andre Derain
Bridge over the Riou

Andre Derain
Bathers

Edvard Munch
The Storm

James Ensor
Tribulations of Saint Anthony

Henri Rousseau
The Dream

Paul Cezanne
Chateau Noir

Paul Cezanne
Pines and Rocks

Paul Cezanne
Still Life with Apples

Paul Gauguin
Washerwomen

Paul Gauguin
The Seed of the Areoi

Georges-Pierre Seurat
Grandcamp, Evening

Georges-Pierre Seurat
Evening, Honfleur

Paul Gauguin
Still Life with Three Puppies

Vincent van Gogh
Portrait of Joseph Roulin

Jasper Johns
Tantric Detail I

Paul Cezanne
The Bather

Pablo Picasso
Boy Leading a Horse

Umberto Boccioni
The City Rises

Stanton Macdonald-Wright
Synchrony

Florine Stettheimer
Family Portrait, II

Henri Matisse
The Rose Marble Table

Fernand Leger
The Mirror

Gerald Murphy
Wasp and Pear

Alexandra Exter
Theatrical Composition

Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven
Dada Portrait of Berenice Abbott

Gustav Klimt
Hope, II

Frantisek Kupka
Mme Kupka among Verticals

Vasily Kandinsky
Picture with an Archer

August Macke
Lady in a Park

Marc Chagall
I and the Village

Gustav Klimt
The Park

Ernst Ludwig Kirchner
Street, Dresden

Oskar Kokoschka
Hans Tietze and Erica Tietze-Conrat

Jean-Michel Basquiat
Glenn

Andrew Wyeth
Christina's World

View from the cafeteria

My brain was exhausted with art overload, and even in the cafeteria I looked across the courtyard and the side of the building became "modern art."

Pablo Picasso
Les Demoiselles d'Avignon

Pablo Picasso
Les Demoiselles d'Avignon

Pablo Picasso
Les Demoiselles d'Avignon

Pablo Picasso
Les Demoiselles d'Avignon

Pablo Picasso
Les Demoiselles d'Avignon

Before my scheduled rendezvous with my family I wanted to take one more look at Picasso's Demoiselles, certainly the museum's signature work, but I did so from the back of the crowd. The living people and the painted people interacted like actors in the same performance. And what do the ladies do at night when the people go away? The answer requires a dream.

3 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you share your moments like these, a visit to an amazing museum that I /we may never ever see. I hope that your time with your family went very very well. Peace,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the MOMA tour. Glad you enjoyed it. I like the Dutch Masters (not the cigars) and your plant selections better. Sharon Yankee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I'm not surprised at your appreciation of art—the depth and selection is amazing.

    ReplyDelete