Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Final Blue-Red Ginkgo Scoop



The response to my Blue Ginkgo offer was overwhelming. About half of you were fooled by my April Fool's prank, but whether you were fooled or not the vast majority of you got a good laugh out of it. I thought that the following day's red ginkgo news, where the same photo was used, and that I had "sold out" to The Home Depot would be a certain give-away.

I don't sell to Home Depot and never have. I don't like them at all, and their plants look like garbage. Last winter I did patronize them for a space heater, though.

One anonymous email, in response to my fictitious Home Depot association, responded, "Time to find a supplier who serves us little guy.[sic] If everyone jumped of [sic] a bridge, would you do it to. [sic]" I guess his computer keyboard didn't have a ? mark, or if it does, Mr. A. doesn't know how to find it.

If any readers are offended in any way about the contents of the ginkgo blog, or any blog, then don't read them. I'm not going to change who I am or what I believe for specific individuals. I admit that my wife and children groan at my jokes, but they accept it as Papa being Papa. The Flora Wonder Blog is written for myself, not for you, but if you enjoy it I am happy. That comment might seem arrogant to you, but I am really a pretty humble guy. The only way I know how to get through life is to laugh at it occasionally.

12 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work and keep the laughs coming - we all need them, especially this time of year !!

    - Andy/ Sam Browns Wholesale Nursery

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me hook, line, and sinker for a day and half until I read the comments section. Well done.

    Todd from Van Putte Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great one! I must say I fell for the Blue Cloud post hook, line and sinker. I guess my love of all unusual plants got the best of me and I didn't even question your post. You are Talon Buchholz after all, why would I question a unique introduction from you?! Many of my favorite plants are your intros and I look forward to the Buchholz shipment at our local nursery each year. The joke ended yesterday when I saw the Red Cloud and Home Depot comment. It was then I realized I was duped! Pretty good considering I don't fall for April Fools jokes very often. :) Thanks for the laugh and I hope you always keep that wicked sense of humor!!!

    Jen S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew something was off the minute I saw the king of nursery crashers home depot. Thank you Talon for your blog and generosity. I enjoy the Japanese spirit each time I come to your nursery, even though you may not have intended that way, it is there. David D wabi sabi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been in the business for over 42 years, and I thought I knew a fair amount about plants. With your reputation as a hybridizer and forward thinking nurseryman I assumed you had really come up with a ground breaking new series of plants. Good on you,,, you sure fooled me , and I'm not the least offended. I really expect to see plants like that before too long. Keep up the good work and the wonderful blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. ooooooh, aren't we articulate

      Delete
    2. I guess im not the only Mr A you refer to.

      Delete
    3. when i was young, at a prestegiouis East Coast nursery they had this marvlouis old oak tree with a wistheria winging it's way up. One day I was with a promienant and very wealthy client (husband and wife) they saw that ree in full wisteria bloom and asked "What is it" I told'me it was a blue flowering oak --- ha ha ha----
      Back at the office they asked the owner of the nuirsery, "We'ed reallyi like to have that blue frowering oak"
      oops..... but i loved the blue clouid ginko, offered only April 1 at your favoirt Home Depot.
      unfortunatlyi I do not have a fvaorite Home Depot , but maybe next year!
      - A

      Delete
  7. Some people just don't have a sense of humor. So sad we just can't all loosen up. Thanks so much for spending time with your Flora Wonder Blogs. Wish we were able to patronize you more, but being in Zone 10 we pretty much have a different set of plants. Looking for you to offer a Blue Norfolk Island pine and a red Weeping Bald Cypress or better yet any Japanese Maples that will survive with no winter. Bruce at Tropical World in Boynton Beach, Fla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Finally, someone who is not ashamed of who he is, and is willing to be just that! Your
    blogs make me smile; don't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete