Friday, April 26, 2013

Take a Visual Journey...


Acer palmatum
I'm in California as you read this. My right-hand man, Seth, is hopping to keep up with truck shipments, supervising the crew on each and every sold plant, dealing with toothless truck drivers and Russian drivers who speak no English, then making sure the paperwork is in order. It takes a supreme effort to fit the blog into his schedule. So everybody gets a break this week, and I'll dial back on the verbiage.

I enjoy walking through the greenhouses and encountering all of the maples, most of which are in full growth and in prime color. Today's blog will be a visual journey with the Acer palmatum species. I'm not promoting the following in particular, rather I chose them because they looked nice when I had the camera out. So, savor the experience on your computer now, or better yet come by for a visit in person.


Acer palmatum

Acer palmatum

Acer palmatum 'Alpenweiss'

Acer palmatum 'Asagi nishiki'

Acer palmatum 'Baby Lace'

Acer palmatum 'Beni kosode'



Acer palmatum
Acer palmatum 'Calico'



























Acer palmatum 'Corallinum'

Acer palmatum 'Eddisbury'





Acer palmatum 'Festival'


















Acer palmatum 'Fairy Hair'

Acer palmatum 'Fairy Hair'

Acer palmatum 'Fairy Hair'
Acer palmatum 'Grandma Ghost'





Acer palmatum 'Fairy Hair'

















Acer palmatum 'First Ghost'

Acer palmatum 'Geisha Gone Wild'

Acer palmatum 'Ki hachigire'
Acer palmatum 'Hama otome'



























Acer palmatum 'Beni maiko'

Acer palmatum 'Hime tsuma gaki'

Acer palmatum 'Ikandi'


Acer palmatum 'Koto no ito'





Acer palmatum 'Ilarian'


















Acer palmatum 'Kasagi yama'

Acer palmatum 'Koto buki'





Acer palmatum 'Koto buki'


















Acer palmatum 'Kuro hime'





Acer palmatum 'Kuro hime'

















Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki'
Acer palmatum 'Little Sango'


























 
Acer palmatum 'Manyo no sato'

Acer palmatum 'Mikawa nishiki'

Acer palmatum 'Mikawa yatsubusa'

Acer palmatum 'Mikawa yatsubusa'

Acer palmatum 'Mikawa yatsubusa'

Acer palmatum 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry'

Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'

Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'
Acer palmatum 'Ori zuru'




























Acer palmatum 'Peve Multicolor'
Acer palmatum 'Peve Multicolor'



























 
Acer palmatum 'Purple Ghost'

Acer palmatum 'Purple Ghost'

Acer palmatum 'Rainbow'


Acer palmatum 'Rainbow'

Acer palmatum 'Red Blush'

Acer palmatum 'Royale'
Acer palmatum 'Ruby Stars'





























Acer palmatum 'Satsuki beni'

Acer palmatum 'Satsuki beni'

Acer palmatum 'Sekka yatsubusa'





Acer palmatum 'Shigi no hoshi'




















Acer palmatum 'Shojo nomura'

Acer palmatum 'Sister Ghost'
Acer palmatum 'Summer Gold'
Acer palmatum 'Squitty'




























Acer palmatum 'Summer Gold'
Acer palmatum 'Summer Gold'




























Acer palmatum 'Tsuchigumo'
Acer palmatum 'Taimen nishiki'




























Acer palmatum 'Tiger Rose'
Acer palmatum 'Tsuma gaki'


























Acer palmatum 'Tsuma gaki'

Acer palmatum 'Tsuma gaki'

Acer palmatum 'Usu midori'





Acer palmatum 'Usu midori'


















Acer palmatum 'Wilson's Pink Dwarf'
Acer palmatum 'Wilson's Pink Dwarf'



























Acer palmatum 'Wilson's Pink Dwarf'





Acer palmatum 'Wilson's Pink Dwarf'



















Acer palmatum 'Yunagi'


As owner of Buchholz Nursery, I can assure you that nothing is easy, and an enormous amount of effort is required for the company to even survive. I've been grinding out a living here for thirty three years, and next year will mark my 40th anniversary in the nursery industry. Ha! And most of you attractive women out there think that I'm only 39 years old. But anyway, today's photos illustrate that I am able to derive some fun from my career, and that my involvement with Flora's Wonder has resulted in a very fortunate life. Thanks to my employees who have made it possible.


Acer palmatum 'Fairy Hair' in October



P.S. By the way, Seth initially took liberty to name this blog Vacation. No way! I've never been on a "vacation." Like "lunch," vacations are for wimps. I'll be working, you can be sure, and I make no apologies if enjoy my trips...er, my work.

P.P.S. Seth responds, "Yeah, whatever."

2 comments:

  1. Talon (and staff),
    Always appreciate getting your blogs. It's especially true at this time of year (spring) that I appreciate having planted a few Acer palmatum varieties, as they come on in every conceivable hue as shown in your posts. It takes about 2 years in the ground here in central Ohio for things to start taking off and looking like they are supposed to. But, that is the fun of it isn't it!? Sorry I don't live closer, as I'd take advantage of visiting more often. But then, there is so much to see everywhere you look at this time of year. Thanks again for the great blogs and "trips".
    Best wishes,
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that except for a yearly three day trip with an NGF (non gardening friend), all my trips are garden related! I would not have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete